Saturday, January 17, 2009

Fixing our eyes...

I love how God teaches us :)


I was singing at morning sing the other day, and began feeling strangely embarrassed. As my mouth was declaring praises of (and, supposedly, to) the Almighty God, my inner spirit was troubled and simply ashamed that I was being seen doing what I was doing.

Afterward, I was troubled and spent time questioning why I had been feeling that way. Why should I be sensing embarrassment upon looking past my wonderful group of siblings in Christ to discover that other people happened to be around too?!


A couple of verses flew across my mind:

“Am I now trying to win the approval of men, or of God? If I were still trying to please men, I would not be a servant of God.” (Gal 1:10)

“I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes.” (Rom 1:16)

And this one made me feel real good—Jesus says: “"If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross and follow me. For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for me and for the gospel will save it. What good is it for a man to gain the whole world, yet forfeit his soul? Or what can a man give in exchange for his soul? If anyone is ashamed of me and my words in this adulterous and sinful generation, the Son of Man will be ashamed of him when he comes in his Father's glory with the holy angels." (Mark 8:34-38)


Whew. Convicting? Undoubtedly. Helpful? Potentially.


I don’t know how many people are like myself in this, but here’s how it has traditionally gone:

Whoa, that’s something super wrong about me. Wow, that’s really wrong…dang, I suck at life. Why did I let that happen? That’s totally not right, not what God would be pleased with for sure.

Essentially: conviction --> guilt --> chasing my tail around that guilt level. Trust me: I can think for a long time and give myself some pretty good lectures on that guilt level.


But do we ever move from there?


Here’s the thing I’m realizing: focusing on the guilt or imperfection is making it all about me. This trend can be extrapolated to other aspects of life as a disciple of Jesus: I used to think that Christianity was mostly about sacrifice. I was okay with that—I’m a runner, and in a twisted way I enjoy that feeling of struggle, challenge, endurance. I can follow the rules well enough, I know the reasons why drugs and extramarital sex and horrible movies are bad for you…I’ve grown accustomed to the idea of denying myself things that my peers pursue.


But what if life isn’t about what we deny ourselves of, so much as what we embrace? What if we’re not to live constantly analyzing the darkness, but fixing our eyes on the glorious light that’s about to rush in?

After a shopping trip, do people stare at the empty place in their wallet where the $20 bill had been, or show off their new shirt or pop in that new DVD?


Why isn’t it like that with Jesus?

Gosh, self, stop asking that Q already—go back to your thesis: don’t keep dwelling on what’s to be given up, but be freed to embrace what you’ve been given!


Two mornings later, back in Red Square, the very first line of a song struck me speechless: it proclaimed that I have been given Jesus. In His fullness. The rest of the song was cool too, I think, but that Truth just kept ringing across my mind.

It’s echoed in an incredible passage, check it: Colossians 2 9-10*: “For in Christ all the fullness of the Deity lives in bodily form, and you have been given fullness in Christ, who is the head over every power and authority.”


DANG! I’ve received Jesus!...Who is all the incomprehensible fullness of God…and because I’ve got Him, I’m full and undeniably complete too!


Suddenly everything else begins to seem really tiny. Yet so filled with a different, more lasting worth. I know that I’ve been given Jesus…I just hardly have begun to learn what that means! But I do pray that's where my focus remains.


Thank You, God, for Your gift of life and blessings upon blessings which You choose to pour out upon us, simply because You love us. Thank You for longsuffering patience with me, and please help me to focus on what’s bigger than myself and notice what You’re eager to give me (if blessing, then praise; if hardship, then power to stand!), to be still and know that You are God. Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, and please reveal Yourself to captivate my eyes to stay fixed on You! To You be the glory, both now and forevermore. Amen.

Sometimes, He calms the storm…other times, He calms His child.

*Amplified Bible version—helps me get more clarity: “For in Him the whole fullness of Deity (the Godhead) continues to dwell in bodily form [giving complete expression of the divine nature]. And you are in Him, made full and having come to fullness of life [in Christ you too are filled with the Godhead--Father, Son and Holy Spirit--and reach full spiritual stature]. And He is the Head of all rule and authority [of every angelic principality and power].

No comments: